Thursday, February 9, 2012

Dream Decade Misstep

Ah, the 90s.


You took us out of the horrid 80s and stripped us of our garish colors and bad fabrics (don't be mislead, 80s Redux of today is NOT the real 80s that we all lived through).

But then you also made women look like lesbians.

My college years were filled with pixies hair cuts, men's flat front trousers, concert T's and no dates.  I have not attempted to scan my college-year photos (mostly because I scrap-booked them and its hard to scan a 12"X12" page) to show you but trust me - they captured the 90s perfectly and justified my mom's theory that her daughter did not like boys.

To prove my point I turn to the 1998 film Sliding Doors.  It was made at the end of the decade but Gwyneth was really behind in that haircut so you can watch it and think, 'This is totally 1995.'

Calvin Klein did her wardrobe and it was spot-on.











The best part was, as women, we thought we looked hot.  And by 'best' I mean ironically sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment