Friday, August 5, 2011

Dream Friends Who Cook


My friends Niall & Mitch are some of the loveliest
and funniest people in the world.

And maybe I got to be in their wedding,
which to this day, was the happiest day of my life.

They are currently restoring their home room by room in a historic part of Cardiff and have a cooking/home improvement Blog of which I cannot get enough of.


Niall sent me the following recipe after I saw that it wasn't on the blog (yet). I've had it many times and am properly obsessed with it.

My Tomato Soup!

3 cloves of garlic (or more if you prefer. I prefer), crushed or chopped finely
1 onion, chopped
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
1 pint of vegetable stock (you can use chicken if you want I guess, but I never have)
2 teaspoons of red pesto
1 teaspoon of green pesto
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp of butter (if you feel like it)

Fry the onions until soft in the oil (and butter), add garlic, cook for a little longer but be careful not to burn the garlic.
Add the tins of tomatoes and cook a wee bit longer.
Add the stock.
Cook a wee bit longer.
Add the pesto, both kinds.

Cook until it is reduced a bit or to a consistency you are happy with, then blend with a hand blender, being careful not to end up wearing the soup (unless you like wearing soup - our walls seem to...).

Et voila! You have tomato soup! Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche in the middle and some crusty bread and you might never eat Heinz tomato soup again. Might being the operative word of course.

Hope this helps rectify the Scots' reputation for culinary delights such as deep fried pizza.

Cheers!
Niall

No comments:

Post a Comment